Fuel prices are still a hot topic for a lot of people. Gasoline is the bloodline that keeps America going and consumers are feeling little to no relief at the pumps. Nationally, the average price of a gallon of gas is $3.49 versus $2.70 a year ago. So what is a person to do? Instead of entertaining the idea of offering up an arm, leg or your first born, here are a few tips that really work and could help you save BIG on your gasoline consumption, saving you money in the long run.
- Stop driving like a maniac. The most significant way to save gas is: you. Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes gas. Consumers can save up to 37% when they drive sensibly and may even save more than gas money.
- Remove excess weight. Avoid keeping unnecessary items in your vehicle, especially heavy ones. An extra 100 pounds in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by up to 2 percent.
- Avoid excessive idling. Idling can use a quarter to half a gallon of fuel per hour, depending on the engine size. Avoiding excessive idling can save up to 19 % so if you are stopping for longer than a minute……..shut ‘er down!
- Keep your engine properly tuned. Fixing a car that is noticeably out of tune or has failed an emissions test can improve its gas mileage by an average of 4%. Fixing a serious maintenance problem, such as a faulty oxygen sensor, can improve your mileage by as much as 40%.
- Choose a more fuel efficient vehicle. The difference between a car that gets 20 MPG and one that gets 30 MPG amounts to $913 per year (assuming 15,000 miles of driving annually and a fuel cost of $3.65).
The good news is that you can drastically improve your gas mileage. The caveat is that you have to change your driving habits. At Peterson Stampede Dodge we are committed to serving your automotive needs, whatever they may be. If your current vehicle needs a little TLC, it may be time to visit our service department. If you are considering a more fuel efficient vehicle we have options that you will love. Stop by the dealership and check out our selection of Dodge Avengers and Dodge Calibers that will help keep money in your pockets and out of the gas tank.
Peterson Stampede Dodge Jeep Chrysler Ram
5801 East Gate Blvd
Nampa, Idaho 83687